Thursday, October 16, 2008

10-16-08 On The Road, Part Six

“Are we there yet??”

Next to the phrase “I need to go to the bathroom” has there ever been a phrase to put fear in any parent. Kids, at a young age, know that they get all excited when Mom and Dad tell them of a big trip to go to some place special or to go see Grandma and Grandpa. And you all pile into the family car. And it doesn’t take long before boredom creeps in and the dreaded phrase is spoken.

“Are we there yet??”, which is usually followed by the mother or father saying, “Why didn’t you go before we left??” Gotta love parenthood.

Today is a travel day, about 300 miles. I left North Platte just after 9am CDT. Once you get about 5 miles north of NP, past the modern day AM, FM, and TV towers that provide the local media for the city, you are out in the vastness known as the prairies.


Flatness has given way to rolling hills, covered in wild grass. And occasionally, you see these black and dull white bumps. Beef cattle and dairy cows. Taking their time grazing and soaking in the day.

An hour later, I stop at Thedford for a bit to get a snapshot of the other major railroad in the state, the Burlington Northern Santa Fe or BNSF. I was at the Conoco gas station and rest stop for all of 15 minutes when I heard the horn of an eastbound train. Had the camera shot all lined up. And then there was this tractor-trailer truck that had just pulled off Nebraska State Route 2. No sooner had he pulled in he was pulling out. There I am in plain view ready to take my shot…and the yahoo pulls right out in front of me and my shot. And I swear as I was looking at him and saying things that you can’t print here, he just raised his hands and shrugged and continued on. I am sure my brothers are there with me, photo buffs that they are, and are sympathizing with me…or they are rolling on the floor laughing their you-know-whats off. Luckily for me, the next BNSF train is about 10 minutes after the first and I get my shot.


As you can see, king coal also rules on the BNSF. We’ll see these guys again the early part of next week.

11am and it is a quick left to continue on U.S. Route 83. An hour later just after 12 Noon and I am in Valentine, NE, about 9 miles from the South Dakota border. And I find my usual rest stop, a Conoco gas station complete with the golden arches of McDonalds. And today’s meal is two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun, aka the Big Mac. Funny story about the Big Mac. Back when they came out some 30 plus years ago, I remember going to Mickey D’s with my brother Paul and our good friend Mike Thibodaux. Being a bit famished and after the young lady behind the counter asked us what we wanted, Mike and I broke out in the theme song for the Big Mac. The young lady behind the counter was not amused. Her eyes looked like thin slits, kinda like what the Grinch looked like in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” after Max the dog jumps into the sleigh all happy and ready to go. Mike and I summed up what was left of our egos and asked for our Big Macs in the usual fashion. Paul just laughed. It was a sad day for Mike and me. Ah, but the memories.

12:30pm CDT finds me back on Route 83 and I reach the South Dakota border. And as I cross the border, I see this waiting for me.


This is the first time that I have seen one of these 25 story tall windmills. And it’s spinning at a good clip. And to the right of the windmill is the “Cadillac” of farm tractors made by Massey-Ferguson.

An hour and a half later I have made it to Murdo, SD. Here is where I pick up Interstate-90, which also is the continuation of Route 83. Speed limit: 75 MPH. And I set the cruise control for 75. And folks are still passing me by. Can’t please all of the drivers all of the time.

Twenty minutes later, I am on the last leg of my journey to Pierre. This portion of Route 83 used to be a 2-lane road but a second 2-lane road was built west of the original lanes from 2001-2002. Two lanes north; two lanes south. Seventy MPH and you’re cruising right along. Where I am now is called the National Grasslands, part of the U.S. Forestry Service. There are very few houses out here. Some of them built way back when are abandoned and subject to what Mother Nature has to give.

And those black bumps mentioned earlier?? I get a few miles up Route 83 and here they are. And there was a good 20 MPH wind from the east.


Halfway to Pierre, this is what you see:

Looking South.


Looking West.


Looking North.


Looking East.


Wish the camera could do more justice.

Anyway, “WE ARE HERE” just before 2:45pm CDT. It has been a long drive but I’ve got to say that the scenery was just spectacular.

Tomorrow we will do a tour of central South Dakota. We will visit the Oahe Dam. We’ll have a history lesson on where we are. And I’ll tell you about Jenn.

Special thanks to the audio archives from the website of A Prairie Home Companion for making my journey go by a bit quicker.

I’m Philip J Zocco. On The Road. In Pierre, South Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment